Navjot Singh Sidhu career can be divided into two halves. Starting with his cricket career, it had a volatile touch to it. A dour batsman capable of dogged defense, he could also be a marauding stroke player who loved tearing spinners apart. Dubbed a strokeless wonder at the start of his Test career in 1983-84, he returned with a vengeance in the 1987 World Cup, where he began with four fifties in a row, hitting over the top merrily. Eventually, in a career spanning 51 Tests and 136 one-day internationals, both sides of his personality played themselves out.
Navjot Singh Sidhu’s finest moment in Tests was his 201 against West Indies in 1996-97, an act of supreme endurance lasting 11 hours. And his ruthlessness against spinners was legion. He cracked eight sixes in 124 against Sri Lanka – Muralitharan and all – in 1993-94, and hammered four fifties in five innings against the Australians in 1997-98, singling out Shane Warne for a personalized spanking. In his second career as a commentator, though, only the ebullience was in evidence, as Sidhu began mauling the spoken word with a unique, entertaining concoction of mixed metaphors and garbled clichés.
Navjot Singh Sidhu started his small-screen career as a judge of the laughter show, The Great Indian Laughter Challenge. Meanwhile, he also started his political career and became MP from Amritsar in 2004. He again became MP in 2009 but was denied a ticket from his constituency in 2014 and in 2017, he changed ends as he joined Congress.
A year before, he was sent to Rajya Sabha but he resigned after joining Congress. He is currently serving as MLA from Amritsar East and is also in the cabinet of Punjab’s CM. Not just during his political career but even during his cricket career, he was surrounded by controversies. He was also a permanent guest at The Kapil Sharma Show till 2019.
- Advertisement -
Navjot Singh Sidhu Family
He was born to Sardar Bhagwant Singh and Nirmal Sidhu. He has two sisters named Suman Toor and Neelam Mahajan. He is married to Navjot Kaur Sidhu and together the couple has a daughter named Rabia Sidhu and a son named Karan Sidhu.
Navjot Singh Sidhu Controversies
- Navjot Singh Sidhu Spotted With Pro-Khalistani leader Gopal Singh Chawla during oath ceremony of Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan.
- He skipped Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s funeral and visited Pakistan during the same time.
- He made offensive remarks to Indore Mayor Malini Lakshmansingh Gaur.
- While a guest on the sets of Kapil Sharma Show, he often made vulgar remarks.
- He was accused of homicide Gurnaam Singh and Haryana High Court ordered a 3-year prison to Sidhu.
- In 1996, he left the England tour in-between as then captain Azharuddin abused him.
- In 2018, he was accused of not paying income tax on time and IT department seized his bank accounts.
Navjot Singh Sidhu Net Worth
Navjot Singh Sidhu’s Net Worth is INR 50 Crores. He has a humongous collection of cars among the cars that he owns include Mercedes SUV, Land Cruiser, Mini Cooper, and Toyota Fortuner among others.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu one-liners during commentary were referred to as Sidhuisms.
- In the past, Sidhu worked with ESPN-Star who fired him for using foul language on air.
- Navjot fell victim to trolling on social media in 2019 after he was interpreted to have been supporting Pakistan after the terrorist attack on Pulwama.