Amrish Puri was one of the most legendary villains of Bollywood. He was a theatre artist and Indian film actor. One of the iconic stars ever seen in Bollywood. This legendary actor plays his role so realistically that people believed he is that character in real life too. Known for his best role as the villain in the movie Mr. India where he played Mogambo. Once a legendary film director Steven Spielberg said, “Amrish is my favorite villain. The best the world has ever produced and ever will!”.
Amrish Puri Biography
This legend was born on 22 June 1932 in Jalandhar, Punjab. His full name is Amrish Lal Puri. He began his career as a theatre artist. And always performed in the Prithvi Theatre of Mumbai. Amrish Puri elaborated his career. And he worked in many regional film industries such as Kannada, Marathi, Punjabi, Malayalam, Telugu, and Tamil. His salary was 1 crore INR /Film
- Father- Lala Nihal Chand Puri
- Mother- Ved Kaur
- Brother -Chaman Puri, Madan Puri, Harish Puri
- Sister -Chandrakanta
- Wife – Urmila Diveker
- Children- Namrata Puri, Rajiv Puri
- School – Not Known
- College – B.M. College Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- Qualification – Graduate
- Amrish Puri Height -5’10” in feet and inches
- Weight – 80 kg
- Hair Color – White
- Eye Color -Brown
Amrish Puri Career
When Amrish Puri reached Mumbai his brother Madan Puri was already an established actor. Amrish Lal Puri began his career after failing the screening for a lead role in 1954. After failing his first screening he started performing at the Prithvi Theatre, in plays written by Satyadev Dubey. He eventually became well-known as a stage actor and won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1979. And finally started getting television ads and movie offers.
Mostly remembered for portraying Mogambo in Mr. India, Bhujang in Tridev, Barrister Chadda in Damini, Thakur Durjan Singh in Karan Arjun, King Raja in Koyla, Chaudhry Baldev Singh in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Mola Ram in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Mayor Ashraf Ali in Gadar: Ek Prem Katha. He acted in more than 400 films winning several Filmfare and other awards. This legendary actor and theatre artist passed away at the age of 72. The actor passed away, in Mumbai due to cerebral hemorrhage resulting from complications of myelodysplastic syndrome.
Amrish Puri has won many awards for his performance and contribution to the film industry. Here are some of his awards.
- Filmfare Award for supporting actor in 1997.
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting actor 1986
- Screen Award [Winner] (1998)Best Supporting Actor
- Screen Award [Winner] (1997)Best Supporting Actor
- Silver Screen Award (Winner) (1994)Best Actor.
Amrish Puri Lesser Known Facts
- He was born in Punjabi Speaking Family in Nawanshahr, Punjab.
- His elder brothers Chaman Puri and Madan Puri were also actors
- Amrish Puri was a fitness freak and he never missed his daily exercise.
- He used to love reading Books and Newspapers
- Amrish Puri started performing in theatre in plays written by Satyadev Dubey
- This legendary actor started working in films at the age of 40.
- First noticed in the movie Hum Paanch (1980)
- With his croaky voice and intense expression, he had created a niche in the film industry.