Coffee is one of the most popular beverages consumed in the world. While many people argue that coffee is an unhealthy beverage, research claims otherwise. It is known to have active ingredients that serve a plethora of health benefits.
Earlier, people used to fret about the side effects of drinking too much. However, continuous study on coffee suggests that the number of benefits that drinking coffee provides is unmatchable with any other drink.
How does Coffee Affect Your Brain?
The main active ingredient is Caffeine. Other active ingredients are Chlorogenic Acids (CGAs), Trigonelline, Cafestol, and Kahweol. Now, the question arises how do these ingredients affect your brain? Here are the answers:
- Caffeine: It stimulates the central nervous system. As a result of action on serotonin neurons, caffeine alerts the brain.
- Chlorogenic Acids (CGAs): CGAs are directly linked with improving mood. It has been observed that it reduced mental fatigue and reduces the risk of age-related mental decline.
- Cafestol and Kahweol: These ingredients are found in unfiltered coffee like Turkish. Cafestol and Kahweol offer anti-diabetic and anti-cancer properties. It also reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Trigonelline (TRG): TRG present in Coffee is a naturally occurring alkaloid. It reduces oxidative stress.
These are just a few of the ingredients we discussed. However, coffee is full of healthy substances that provide nourishing benefits to the overall body as well.
- Advertisement -
3 Mistakes You Make While Drinking Coffee (& How to Avoid Them)
To err is human. And making mistakes while drinking is no exception. The 3 common mistakes people make while drinking their coffee are:
- Having Instant Coffee: While we agree that instant coffee saves time and energy, it just doesn’t cut the deal when it comes to health benefits. When coffee beans are roasted, a chemical names ‘ acrylamide’ is formed. In instant, there is more quantity of acrylamide which poses several risks to your health. This chemical increases the risk of cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. Hence, Instant it should be avoided at all costs.
- Having Coffee post-mid-meal: A cup of it is best when we feel tired or sluggish. But it should be noted that drinking after your lunch can interfere with your sleep cycle. As coffee alerts your mind, it can keep you awake till midnight or post that time. Sleep deprivation also adversely affects the functioning of your brain. Therefore, completely avoid having coffee after a mid-day meal or have a decaf coffee if you need to.
- Excessive intake of Sugar: As we know, refined sugar does not contain any nutrients. It only contains calories. It should be kept at bay if you are trying to soak in the health benefits of drinking. You can replace sugar with jaggery or cinnamon powder.